Tanjala P sent this to a group of friends on 6/7/07. I needed to read it, so maybe it’ll help one of you guys out there.
The problems you face will either defeat you or develop you–depending on how YOU respond to them. Unfortunately, most people fail to see how God wants to use problems for good in their lives. They react foolishly and resent their problems rather than pausing to consider what benefit they might bring. Here are five reasons God may have permitted the problems you have experienced in your life:
1. God permits problems to DIRECT you. Sometimes God must light a fire under you to get you moving. Problems often point us in a new direction and motivate us to change. Is God allowing this situation to get your attention?
“Sometimes it takes a painful situation to make us change our ways. ” Proverbs 20:30
2. God permits problems to INSPECT you. People are like tea bags … if you want to know what’s inside them, just drop them into hot water! Has God tested your faith by allowing a problem or two into your life? What do problems reveal about you?
“When you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience.” James 1:2-3
3. God uses problems to CORRECT you. Some lessons we learn only through pain and failure. It’s likely that as a child your parents told you not to touch a hot stove. But you probably learned by being burned. Sometimes we only learn the value of something… health, money, a relationship. ..by losing it.
“It was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws.” Psalms 119:71-72
4. God permits problems to PROTECT you. A problem can be a blessing in disguise if it prevents you from being harmed by something more serious. Last year a friend was fired for refusing to do something unethical that his boss had asked him to do. His unemployment was a problem-but it saved him from being convicted and sent to prison a year later when management’s actions were eventually discovered.
“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good”… Genesis 50:20
5. God permits problems to PERFECT you. Problems, when responded to correctly, are character builders. God is far more interested in your character than your comfort. Your relationship to God and your character are the only two things you’re going to take with you into eternity.
“We can rejoice when we run into problems…they help us learn to be patient. And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust God more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady.” Romans 5:3-4
** Here’s the point: God is at work in your life-even when you do not recognize it or understand it. But it’s much easier and profitable when you cooperate with Him.
3 thoughts on “5 Reasons God Permits Problems”
Still very timely, even 3 years later! 🙂
I put my bible down and came to my computer… I googled the word inspiration… I clicked on an image and it brought me to your blog. scrolling thru I landed on this entry… it was no coincidence as I don’t believe in them – you touched my heart and gave me hope and reassurance. For that I thank you! God bless you ~ God is good
I’m so glad! Thank you for reading it. Now, let ME go back and read it because I think I need it too! Be blassed!!