Sunday night, BET aired Black Girls Rock, and it was so awesome! It’s about time we see some positive, inspirational, motivational, strong images of black women in the media. BET did this one right. Working with Beverly Bond to give more exposure to the positivity her initiative exudes, this program did wonders for grown black girls and small black girls alike. If you missed it, I encourage you to watch it, whether you’re a black girl or not. You can catch it online at the link above.
So let’s spread some love on my page today. Share with me why YOU rock!
Why do I rock? I rock because I’m a risk taker. I dream and then I go after them. I rock because I’m a M.A.D. black woman–one who’s making a difference. I’m a change maker. I rock because even though I’m a rough and tough with my afro puffs at times, I’m versatile–I’m also a softspoken, sensitive southern belle who loves alliteration and all things vintage and frilly. I rock because I know my style and I love myself for it. I rock because I want to be an influence on those around me. As Iyanla Vanzant said Sunday night, I rock because I have no other choice.
Here’s one of my fave parts of the show.
Why do you rock? Tell me!
Today, I was Table Topics Master at my Toastmasters meeting. My theme was Daydreams since one of my favorite pastimes is daydreaming. 🙂 The members had to come to the lectern, pick one of several questions that I had printed on slips of paper, and answer it in 1-2 minutes. The questions were all “if” questions. I found some of the questions here and some others here. I made up the rest. The questions went over very well, and there were some really interesting and creative answers. I’ve bolded the one I volunteered to answer myself.
I’m sharing them below, in case you’re ever a table topics master or need an icebreaker for an event.
- If you could be any age again for one week, what age and why?
- If you could fly in a hot-air balloon over any city in the world, what city would you choose?
- If you could go back in time and talk to yourself at the age of ten, what advice would you give yourself?
- If you could travel back in time to meet anyone in your family’s history, whom would you most want to meet? (I said my mom’s mom’s mom’s mom. :D)
- If you had to wear a button with a maximum of five words what would it be and why?
- If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
- If you could be romantically connected with any celebrity who would it be?
- If you could be a superhero, which special power would you choose to have?
- If you could excel at any competitive sport, which would you choose?
- If you could take a sabbatical for six months and live anywhere, where would you go and why?
What about you? Have you ever considered any of these yourself?
And here’s a song about daydreaming. 🙂